Wahroonga's Fine Federation Homes[Previous Page: Abyia, Pymble Queen Anne Next page: ]
Table of Contents:
- See also Water Street, Wahroonga NSW
- See also Highlands Wahroonga, NSW
- See also Matakana, Wahroonga
- See also Craignairn, Wahroonga
"Wahroonga is one of Sydney’s older suburbs. With the coming of the north shore railway in 1890 it became popular with wealthy businessmen of Sydney town.
- "Wahroonga was desirable then for its clean air, its open space and the promise of a new garden suburb. Initially the railway came south from Hornsby to St Leonards. Large lot sizes were normal and many imposing dwellings designed by prominent architects were built in the early years.
- In 2009 these same large lots deﬁne the character of Wahroonga. The properties are
- “The Briars” in Woonona Avenue,
“Coolabah” both in Burns Road, Wahroonga and all are in Urban Conservation Areas identiﬁed by the National Trust in 1995-1996, anticipating the urban consolidation of Sydney." - National Trust
Reasons for listing; cultural, architectural, state significance. Note: Bunya pines
"The Briars has state heritage significance for its historic, cultural, archaeological and aesthetic values.
- It is a good example of a transitional late Victorian/early Federation architectural style house. It is a prime example of the style of development prevalent in the local area at the turn of the 20th century.
- Historically it is significant as it represents the first period of residential expansion in Wahroonga which followed the opening of the railway in 1890." - Heritage Branch listing
John and Libby Fuller will once again open their beautiful garden at The Briars House.* The house dates back to 1885 and has been declared a heritage item by the National Trust, the State Government, and Ku-ring-gai Council.
Councillors pursue purchase of land next to The Briars
- "KU-RING-GAI Council’s controversial purchase of a parcel of land in Woonona Ave, Wahroonga, has raised the ire of the Department of Local Government.
- The Advocate has exclusively obtained a copy of correspondence sent to the council from the department’s deputy director-general, Ross Woodward, on January 8.
- Mr Woodward pans the $1.6 million purchase as “unfunded, unplanned and not in accordance with council’s existing policies”.
- “Councillors must make significant decisions on behalf of the community in a responsible manner,” it reads.
- “Unplanned and unfunded expenditure of public funds of this magnitude raise concerns about council’s ability to finance its functional plans and to deliver services to the community.”
- The council spent $1.6 million, a figure it still refuses to officially confirm, to buy 12 Woonona Ave late last year.
Mr Woodward was particularly scathing about the cost of the purchase.
- He noted that the purchase price was “approximately $600,000 above the highest independent valuation obtained”.
A townhouse development on the site was part-way through construction and the council resolved to pay the owner a sum based on the development’s future value.
- The site fronts the heritage-listed private property The Briars and has since been rezoned as open space.
- "Twelve old turpentine trees (Syncarpia glomulifera) remain from one of the earliest stands (Heritage Branch).
- The style is transitional between the late Victorian Italianate and Federation.
- It is a single storey brick house with a hipped slate roof. A projecting brick bay with three stuccoed arches markes the front entrance and intersects a timber framed verandah which surrounds the house on three sides.
- The verandah is decorated with timber brackets and dentillation. Shuttered french doors open onto the verandah from the principal rooms. Internally it retains much of its original joinery and fireplaces."
Physical Condition and/or Archaeological Potential:
- "The house is in good condition and has been sympathetically renovated by its present owners. (National Trust (NSW), 1983).
- Joinery, screenwork and hardware (fireplaces etc) are all original (as of 1983). Many parts of the garden are in their original form. Twelve old turpentine trees (Syncarpia glomulifera) remain from one of the earliest stands." (Heritage Office)
- On 8 February 1899 Joseland and Strang had purchased adjoining lots in Burns Road. A few days later Joseland began preparing plans for both Coolabah at No 39 for Strang and his own house Malvern at No 41 Burns Road, Wahroonga .
- When Strang decided to build a new residence he chose the adjoining lots of land on the corner of two main roads, Burns Road and Cleveland Street.
- The architectural firm Joseland and Vernon designed the house and were also commissioned to design the garden, trellis-work and pergola.
- This group of three adjoining residences Craignairn, Coolabah and Malvern designed by Joseland is unique. - Jennifer Harvey for Ku-ring-gai Historical Society Inc.
Pascal and Kim Phillips
Designed by Architect Howard Joseland.
- Federation Queen Anne style with wrap around verandahs
- For Sale for $4.9 Million
- "Beautiful heritage listed turn of the century single level residence of grand proportions.
- Set in magnificent 3,275m of private park-like grounds with grass tennis court, heated swimming pool and plenty of room for children to play.
- Original features include wide return verandah, bay windows, high ornate ceilings, central hallway, open fire places, polished Kauri Pine timber floors,
- French doors leading to verandahs and large light filled rooms.
- Impressive entry foyer, gracious lounge room, separate formal dining room, modern kitchen with pantry and cellar, large family/casual living room flows to the garden, library, laundry/utility room and 3 car accommodation.
- Security intercom, auto gates, ducted 5 zone reverse cycle air conditioning, underground water storage and reticulated watering system, back to base monitored alarm."
- Federation Arts and Crafts style House For Sale for $4.9 Million
- "Landmark Early Federation residence designed by renowned architect Howard Joseland.
- Located at one of the vantage
points of East Side Wahroonga, desirable for its breathtaking
streetscape of unique architectural beauty & convenience.
- Westholme’ is set on 2257sqm of sun filled private grounds where a lifestyle of discretion is assured.
- The Arts and Crafts style is synonymous with high ornate ceilings, intricate leadlight, timber fretwork, wide polished timber floorboards, all matched with soft furnishings and fittings of the highest quality.
period features have been sensitively restored for perfect blend &
integrity of generous formal sitting & dining rooms. There are even
five working fireplaces.
- Subtle additions include: R/C Aircon, Intercom, Cable/TV/Broadband Internet, Back to Base Alarm, Smoke Detectors, Watering System & ample storage. Inherent low maintenance and easy care attributes for modern living." - Mark Allan
- Westholme’ is set on 2257sqm of sun filled private grounds where a lifestyle of discretion is assured.
- Gracefully Enhanced Federation Residence to showcase its original Federation attributes,
- Impressive residence stands tall amongst manicured gardens, its conveniently located close to leading schools, shops, cafes and rail.
- For Sale: $3,700,000
- Six bedrooms, study and separate guest suite
- Master bedroom with ensuite and walk-in robe
- Modern designer kitchen with leading appliances overlooks sunken family room
- Generous room sizes and light filled living areas
- Formal lounge and separate banquet dining room, casual meals area, billiard room / games room
- Full size tennis court, swimming pool and spa
- Front gates, 2 car auto garage, r/c air conditioning, central heating, security alarm and many fine inclusions
- Federation Classic with slate roof, tuck-pointed brickwork, shingled gables
- "A handsome street presence with 1915 character abounding from the sandstone wall and gated entry to wide hallways, high ceilings, polished floorboards and feature fireplaces.
- ANTRIM HALL
combines the appeal of turn of the century architecture with grand
proportions, fluid formal rooms opening to a European style north facing
courtyard ideal for entertaining, with casual living overlooking the
private garden and pool.
- Elegant and welcoming columned entry foyer
- Formal lounge & dining rooms,with fireplaces & French doors
- Expansive open-plan kitchen, casual dining and family room with Jetmaster fireplace
- Kitchen features, Gaggenau/Smeg/Miele appliances & large pantry
- Generous bedrooms with built-ins, one with two-way ensuite; master with walk-in robe & ensuite
- Large swimming pool & with cabana /studio and private level garden
- Fitted laundry with hanging rails & Robinhood ironing centre; 2 family bathrooms, 1 with clawfoot bath
- Features include wine cellar, ducted gas heating & r/c air con, B2B alarm, extensive storage, irrigation
- Auto wrought-iron gates lead down driveway to auto double garage with internal access
- Spoilt for choice with schools - walk Abbotsleigh & Knox. Prouille, Warrawee Public, The Bush School
- 3 minute walk to bus, village shops & Wahroonga train station - transport options couldn't be easier"
- Federation Classic mansion
- For Sale Saturday 19th May 2012 by auction
- Circa 1895 - Superb Boom period Federation Residence
situated on of one of Wahroonga's most picturesque and prestigious
tree-lined streets, on a completely level 1900sqm block (approximately),
this enchanting home is in the absolute heart of Wahroonga village.
- Timeless architecture and perfect symmetry - a home with significant street appeal
- Secure and private nestled behind hedge screening, walls and security gates
- Wide foyer with superb formal lounge, dining rooms, picture book sunroom, games room, home office with soaring ceilings, 2 ornate fireplaces, an eclectic mix of old world charm with contemporary finishes
- Light filled and versatile casual living/dining areas, rumpus room boasting cathedral ceiling - granite floors, wet bar
- 5 generous bedrooms including separate guest accommodation
- 4.5 bathrooms
- 3 upper level incl guest bathroom and ground level bathroom plus guest powder room
- Iconic verandah overlooking the level lawn, English style gardens and full size tennis court.
- Sandstone flagged pool and spa plus all weather deck, ideal for the entertainer
- Australian Cedar staircase, under floor heating, ducted r/c air conditioning, original leadlights
20 Bareena Avenue, WAHROONGA, NSW- 'Kerrisdale'
- Queen Anne style with tuck-pointed brickwork, slate roof and wrap-around verandah
- "Elegant federation residence in prime east side location
- bearing all the hallmarks of its refined traditional heritage, 'kerrisdale' is an elegant federation residence encompassing a variety of living, entertaining and accommodation spaces, perfect for spacious family living all within an absolute prime east side location only a seven minute level walk to Wahroonga village and station.
- traditionally presented formal lounge showcases a period fireplace
- separate formal dining room
- huge informal family living/dining area flows level to a covered alfresco
- entertaining area and level secure rear garden
- four bedrooms and two bathrooms, including a large master bedroom on the first floor featuring an ensuite bathroom and dressing room
- there is access to a loft area affording potential as an office or study
- a myriad of original features including wraparound open front verandah, high ornate ceilings with turned cornices, leadlight windows and polished timber floors
- preserved facade, with tuck pointing, slate roof and shingles
- conveniently situated to superb schools including knox grammar, abbotsleigh and the bush school
- Auction 11:30am, Saturday September 24, 2011 buyers guide: $1.6m+
- Grand Character home with 2,800sqm gardens - Tennis Court and Pool
- A grand estate including a renowned Water Street address and approx 2,800sqm of magnificent North to rear gardens and level lawns
- A gracious 2 storey Edwardian home offers original character features with a plenty of scope to further update.
Within a short walk to Wahroonga Station, Village shops and some of Sydney's finest schools, this is the perfect opportunity to secure a preserved character home with so much potential. Enjoy your piece of Wahroonga history.
- 5 spacious bedrooms plus study (separate entrance)
- 4 bathrooms upstairs and 2 downstairs powder rooms.
- Formal lounge room and separate formal dining with original fireplaces
- Spacious kitchen family and breakfast room
- Generous billiards/games room with bar
- Triple Garage and plenty of off street parking - Full size tennis court, swimming pool and Rotunda
- Circa 1920'S Character Home
- 38m frontage
- More than 1,800sqm of near level land
- Picture rails throughout the home and beautiful timber paneling in the formal and casual living areas
- Entrance foyer with separate cloak / phone room
- Large formal lounge with gas heater
- Formal 12 seated dining room
- Eat-in kitchen with gas cooking, solid Oak doors, Granite bench tops and splash backs
- Leadlight features throughout the home
- 5 bedrooms, main with bay window and 2nd bedroom with en-suite bathroom
- Huge full size billiard room that leads out to the yard and deck
- Good size backyard with room for a pool
- 3 car garage and room for plenty of extra parking on the driveway
- Large cellar plus loads of storage
- Ducted air-conditioning throughout
- Fully landscaped gardens
- Approximately 10 seconds to Abbotsleigh School for Girls, 5 minute walk to Wahroonga railway station and shopping village, 10 minute walk to Knox Grammar School and close to parks, ovals and shops
25 Burns Road WAHROONGA'Applegate'
- A Fine Federation Residence With Tennis Court & Pool - Priced To Sell
- 'Applegate' adorning approximately 1947sqm of beautifully landscaped land and across one level with a full-sized all-weather tennis court & pool.
one of Wahroonga's premier eastside streets and positioned in the quiet
part of Burns Road, you are just moments walk to the rail, Village and
all leading schools.
- This property also features:
- Five bedrooms (main with ensuite) plus a study
- Three bathrooms plus separate WC for tennis court & pool
- Two car lock-up garage with additional storage
- Stunning formal lounge room and separate dining with fireplaces
- Granite kitchen opens to casual meals & family flowing to a beautiful undercover sandstone courtyard
- Rumpus room ideal for home theatre, billiards room or extra family living
- Undercover tennis pavilion overlooks inground pool & tennis court
- Plenty of additional lawns surround the property for children & pets alike
- Walkway cuts through to Wahroonga rail & Village and walk to Knox, Abbotsleigh and other prestige schools
28 Lucinda Avenue Wahroonga 'Matakana'
- For Sale $3,900,000
- Estate on 3200sqm
- After 17 years of much love and restoration, Matakana is offered as an impressive circa 1907 Federation estate that has been impressively and meticulously brought back to her former glory.
- Intimate attention to detail, grand proportions and elegant styles are the hallmarks of this gracious family home.
- Set amid impeccably landscaped and sun-drenched resort-like grounds, this property also offers:
- Five large bedrooms including a private guest wing with loungeroom
- Three bathrooms (main with ensuite) and 2 car garaging
- Stunning formal entry foyer leading to a grand formal lounge room
- Separate banquet sized formal dining room and impressive office or library
- Stainless steel kitchen and plenty of generous casual living space
- Classic wide veranda for indoor/outdoor entertaining
- Ducted reverse cycle air conditioning
- Back to Base Sercurity System
- Beautifully inground gas heated pool and spa plus tennis court with pavilion
- Electronic watering system throughout the garden.
- 3,200sqm of manicured grounds all within easy walk to rail,