National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 1National Trust Tasmanian Heritage Register 3
|Van Diemen's Land Company's establishment at Emu Bay, 1832 (Tasmaniana Library, SLT)|
|1852 map of Van Diemen's Land|
"In the heat of frustration the Colonial Government dispatched a capable convict stonemason, Daniel Herbert, to work on the Ross Bridge, along with another convict stonemason, James Colbeck and both were offered their freedom upon its completion.
|Thomas Dodd, 'Ross Bridge', undated (ALMFA, SLT)|
|Read about Ross.|
29. Mona Vale Homestead, Chapel, Cottages & Outbuildings 398 Mona Vale Road, Mona Vale via Ross, TAS, Australia
|Northern and western facade of 'Mona Vale', Ross, Tasmania. The present Mona Vale was completed in 1868.|
30. The Grange High Street, Campbell Town, TAS, AustraliaA fine early example of a Gothic Revival mansion in Tasmania, and one of James Blackburn's finest works.
|Details of the building of the Grange|
The Convict Brick Trailat Campbell Town commemorates some of the nearly 200,000 convicts who were transported to Australia between 1788 and 1868.
|Cawarra, Risdon Road, New Town; from National Trust of Australia (Tasmania)|
32. Gunpowder Magazine and Old Guard House Port Arthur, TAS
|Gunpowder Magazine and Old Guard House|
|Magazine and Commandant's Cottage, Port Arthur, Tasmania.; Thwaites, Jack; 1969; TSO00018562.10|
|Location of Port Arthur. Tasmania, Australia|
|Port Arthur Historic Site|
Spending a night or two in the area will allow time to fully explore Port Arthur and the fascinating region around it.
33. The Cottage 27 Main Street, Kempton, TAS, AustraliaA well maintained Victorian stone cottage built about 1860. The building is complemented by brick stables, a good garden and timber picket fence.
The building contributes to the townscape of Kempton.
An early district homestead of uncertain date, yet by style and comment appears to be about 1839.
|Longford House, 120 Catherine Street, Longford, Tas 7301|
LONGFORD House built circa 1834 is known as one of Tasmania’s finest colonial homes.
The house then, as now, is offered for sale with the original 8.9 hectares of land, comprising 2.2 hectares of parks and garden, an orchard, barn and 6.7 hectares of meadow, divided into several paddocks.
|Longford House. Longford, TAS, Australia|
Two storey brick and stucco Georgian house. Iron hip roof.
|Stone Cottage, in De Witt Street, Battery Point, Tasmania. This (mis-identified as no. 27) image is part of a large collection of photographs which were entered in The Mercury Historic Homes Photographic Competition, 1963.|
36. Patriot King William IV Hotel (Former) now Blenheim, 16 High Street Evandale, TAS, Australia
|Blenheim Bed and Breakfast is situated in a beautiful garden in historic Evandale, near Launceston Airport.|
The ensuite accommodation is spacious and well-lit, with comfortable furnishings in keeping with the period.
37. St Matthias Anglican Church and Graveyard 431 Windermere Road Windermere, TAS, AustraliaSt Matthias Anglican Church, at Windermere, is one of Tasmania’s most beautiful heritage listed churches.
St Matthias church is a 'Colonial Gothic picturesque' style church (of early English influence)
38. Callington Mill Historic Site Old Mill Lane, Oatlands, TAS, AustraliaCallington Mill, a working Georgian windmill built in 1837. A fine group of historic Colonial buildings built by John Vincent and completed in October 1837. Although the buildings are freestanding, there is a strong relationship between them and they are centred on a five level windmill. All buildings are of stone with many having shingled roofs.
39. Oakington 15 Napoleon Street, Battery Point, TAS, Australia
|Oakington Circa 1840, with Picturesque Harbour Outlook|
40. Wingfield 262 Davey Street, South Hobart, TAS, AustraliaAn excellent example of an 1830s Old Colonial Regency style house in original condition (Criterion B 2).
|Wingfield Garden, 262 Davey St, South Hobart|
The residence is single-storey, with a return verandah. It has simple elevations and an iron hip roof.
41. Cawood and Outbuildings 167 Tor Hill Road, Ouse, TAS, Australia
42. Courthouse, Watch House & Hall 54 Bridge Street, Richmond, TAS, Australia
Read more about Richmond Historic Town in National Estate; or in the Appendix Richmond Historic Town
43. St Johns Orphan School (former) now St Johns Park Hospital, St Johns Avenue New Town, TAS, Australia
|Church & Orphans School, St John's Avenue New Town 1872|
An essential part of the historic St Johns precinct, these Tudoresque buildings were designed by John Lee Archer to be symmetrically located on each side of St Johns Church.
The Queen's Orphan Asylum opened as the King's Orphan Asylum in 1831.
"We have seen many assemblages of children in our time...but never did we see two hundred human beings, that exhibited so squalid an appearance, as did the majority of the Queen's Orphans." Read more:
44. Ivylawn 1260 Westwood Road, Hagley, TAS, Australia
This two storey brick and stucco house features rough stucco with smooth work in imitation of ashlar to quoins and surrounds to openings.
Quamby Estate - Quamby House Group, 1145 Westwood Road, Hagley, TAS, Australia
Following the purchase of Quamby in 2008 by Anthology, Quamby was given a complete make-over by heritage architects and builders to restore the home to its former glory.
The Chinese influence in the design of the house, as exemplified by the trellis work to the verandah and fanlight over the entrance door, is said to be the result of visit to China by Dry's son, who later became Premier of Tasmania.
Quamby Managers House, Westwood Road, Hagley, TAS
The outbuildings contribute in an important way to the historical and architectural significance of the complex and reflect the range of farming activities carried out on the property, and the living and working conditions of the staff. The house and outbuildings have an intact rural setting.
|Hazelnut Trees near Hagley - Hazelbrae Hazelnuts|
45. Franklin House, 413-419 Hobart Road, Franklin Village, TAS, Australia
An excellent example of a two storey Georgian house built 'on spec' for Britton Jones, an early Launceston brewer and innkeeper in 1838-9.
Franklin House is convict built and located in northern Tasmania at Franklin Village, Launceston.
Franklin House survives with house, stables and garden. Nearby and also accessible is St James Church which was built in 1845 and has many associations with the House.
46. Swanston House and Stables 37 Tower Road New Town, TAS, AustraliaCharles Swanston occupied the property, which he renamed New Town Park, from shortly after his arrival in Van Diemen's Land in 1829 and purchased it in August 1832.
|Runnymede House, Stable & Gates 61 Bay Road, New Town|
|Runnymede House, Stable & Gates 61 Bay Road, New Town|
|Runnymede New Town, TAS|
|The historic Runnymede garden features many historic trees and plants.|
|Summerhome, from John Smith Collection-Early dry plates|
48. Summerhome, 2 Hopkins Street, Moonah, TAS Australia
Summerhome, a Georgian mansion, was built in the 1840s as the summer home of wealthy merchant Henry Hopkins and his wife Sarah (their winter home was Westella in Macquarie Street).
Summerhome Garden, 2 Hopkins Street, Moonah, TAS, AustraliaAn excellent example of an intact early Victorian garden established as a summer home, from Hobart, in the days when Moonah was in the country.
|ABC Fact Sheet: 'Summerhome'|
The gardens are filled with an array of plants, many of which are original plantings. The parterre gardenis a formal and ordered garden, popular in Victorian times, when the garden was first created.
49. Northbury Wellington Street, Longford, TAS, Australia
50. Town Hall, St John Street, Launceston TAS, Australia
A fine example of a large Victorian Italianate Town Hall in original and intact condition.
A typical Victorian building of painted stucco with Corinthian columns. It was designed by Peter Mills and erected in 1864.
51. Holy Trinity Catholic Church and Grounds 94 Bass Highway, Westbury, TAS, AustraliaRoman Catholic Church and a memorial to archdeacon James Hogan, the pioneer priest of the district. A landmark in Westbury.
52. Old Criminal Courts Group 98 Campbell Street, Hobart, TAS, AustraliaThe Criminal Courts and Penitentiary Chapel building complex, dating from the 1830s, is historically significant.
53. The Stables, Entally, Hadspen and
|Stables, Entally - click for more photos|
Built in 1819 by Thomas Haydock Reibey, Entally House is one of Australia’s most intact Georgian colonial homes.
|Entally House historic house museum|
Entally House has been in continual operation as an historic house museum since the 1950s and remains open to the public 7 days a week, from 10am to 4pm.